YOU’RE NOT GOING TO GET IT PERFECT THE FIRST TIME... AND PROBABLY NOT THE SECOND TIME EITHER
What would be possible if you didn’t worry about getting things perfect?
I bet you’d be doing big, creative, and innovative things. Perfectionism seems to do one of three things:
- Makes everything take A LONG time
- Makes you do things that are safe and middle of the road
- Makes you freeze and do nothing
That list makes me sad. I feel sad because I’ve experienced all of those things and sad because I know I’m not alone in that.
I wonder if being able to own the fact that NOBODY does things perfectly the first time would make doing things imperfectly less frightening.
Essentially everything is happening exactly as it should if it’s not quite right so you’re technically not f*@#ing anything up after all.
Then once you’ve realized that:
- You won’t die
- You won’t be shunned like an Amish person living like “English” people
- You won’t be forced to stand on a platform where everyone that you’ve ever met points and laughs at you
Maybe you won’t be so freaked out about being imperfect the next time, cuz let’s be honest there will probably be room for improvement then too.
Let’s not forget every time you take action there will be something to be learned that you can apply for the future and making those adjustments will get you were you want to go much faster than choices 1, 2, or 3 from above.
So go out there and be imperfect just like all of those other brave and successful people.